New on the forum

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Isabells23
First Name: Isabella

New on the forum

Post by Isabells23 »

Hi, I am a new member. Welcome me.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: New on the forum

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and Welcome
Do you have a schnauzer? If so we'd love to see pictures
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Isabells23
First Name: Isabella

Post by Isabells23 »

Thank you so much for welcoming me in the forum. Yes! I have a Schnauzer, but unfortunately, I have lost her in the
past month. It's very shocking for me, as it's a lovely member of my family. But somehow I have just decided to go for
another dog for my family. This time I am thinking about phantom Bernedoodle. I think this will be a good choice for
my family due to their intelligence, and beauty. Let me know your thoughts, Should I need to go for phantom
Bernedoodle or a Schnauzer again.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sorry to hear youve lost her. We didnt last long in getting another when we lost Barney, they do leave a hole.

Its funny you should mention Bernadoodle someone I know has just put a deposit down on one. This one is ginger with white not phantom markings. I really dont know much about them to be able to comment. Of course size if its cross with a standard poodle its going to be about the size of a giant schnauzer. Its what best suits you in the end. What size schnauzer did you have?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Whether you decide on another schnauzer or a Bernedoodle, do make sure you research the breed ( to be sure it suits your lifestyle) and the breeder (to be confident they are breeding for good health and good temperament and raising the puppies to be self confident and resilient).

The following are the health issues you need to know about with a Bernedoodle from the following website:

https://www.trendingbreeds.com/do-berne ... -lifespan/

“If you’re considering getting a Bernedoodle, you should ask the breeder for the results of the following tests. Many responsible breeders will have the test results for multiple past generations, too.

Hips – During this certification process, the hips are X-rayed. If they pass, they are then certified by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) or University of Pennsylvania Hip Improvement Project (PennHIP)
Eyes – During this process, the eyes are screened by an ophthalmologist and certified by the Canine Eye Registration Foundation (CERF) or OFA.
Elbows – During this certification process, the elbows are X-rayed. If they pass, they are then certified by the OFA.
Heart – The heart should be tested and screened by a Veterinarian. A passing certification can then be sent to the OFA.
Von Willebrand Disease – This genetic disease causes consistent and heavy bleeding due to an insufficient amount of von Willebrand factor, which is needed for the blood to clot. This can be checked with a DNA test or blood screening.
Patella Luxation – This develops when the dog’s kneecap becomes dislocated from its normal position in the femur. It’s most common in smaller dogs. kneecaps are checked by a vet and certified by OFA.
Sebaceous Adenitis – A genetic skin disease where glands become inflamed, cause loss of hair. This can be checked by a Vet with a simple skin biopsy.
Degenerative Myelopathy – This disease causes progressive deterioration of the spinal cord in older dogs. It can cause, wobbling, stumbling and falling over.
Macrothrombocytopenia – This inherited disease occurs when the dog has an unusually high number of platelets.“

If you are looking for a schnauzer, it depends on the breed whether miniature, standard or Giant. The Standard Schnauzer has fewer health issues but you can check out the others via the breed clubs or Kennel Club. There is some information on this link:

https://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/health.php

Check with the breeder that they are carrying out the relevant tests and can let you know the health history of the parent dogs. You risk costly vet bills or at the worst premature death if you do not take care to source a puppy from a reputable and responsible breeder so it is definitely worth checking this whatever breed or crossbreed you are considering.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/